I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe with you today because it is one of my all time favourite dishes. This Portuguese Pan-Fried Fish Fillets recipe (also known as “filetes de peixe” at our house), has been in our home for as long as I can remember.
This is my mother’s recipe, which is enough said! That should be all the information you need to know, to know just how good this will be. My mother is an amazing cook and my family has been so lucky to have eaten her delicious food over all these years. It’s funny, as children, you really don’t know how lucky you are until you get older and realize, wow, mom cooked incredible meals day after day for us. Not only is she the hardest working individual I have EVER met, she is also a darn good cook, people!
There truly is nothing like mom’s home cooking, and so today, with mom’s permission of course, I share with you her recipe for “filetes de peixe”. You’re welcome in advance 🙂
We’ve used sole fillets in this recipe, however, you may use your choice of white fish.
This can also get a bit messy as you’re frying, because you’re coating with flour, then egg. So mom’s tip is to use one hand just for coating with flour, and the other for coating with egg. This will minimize the mess.
You also want to place the fillets onto paper towel as you remove them from the frying pan, in order for any excess oil to be absorbed.
Another helpful tip from mom is, in order to keep your oil clean as you fry, you should use a slotted spoon to remove any remaining cooked egg pieces left behind in the oil, between your batches. This is important because it will leave your fillets looking their best, as there is nothing left behind in the oil to get stuck to their surface. Mom’s always know best – it’s been proven time and time again!
This is actually a very simple recipe to make, and I have found it is always a hit. So if you’re in need of a dish for an upcoming dinner, I encourage you to try this recipe out. I’m sure it will impress and be an absolute crowd-pleaser!
- 6 sole fish fillets
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 3 eggs
- canola oil for frying (to fill pan about 1 inch)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the Marinade: Salt and pepper both sides of fillets. Add garlic and lemon juice. Ensure fillets are coated well. Let marinate for at least 1 hour. When ready, remove fillets from marinade, being sure to remove garlic slices as well.
- For Frying: In a tray, whisk eggs and parsley together. Place flour in a separate tray. Fill a frying pan with 1 inch deep canola oil. Heat over medium-high. Flour fillet first, then coat fillet in egg mixture and add to frying pan. Fry until golden on each side (about 4 minutes each side).
- Place fillets on paper towel to absorb excess oil
- Serve with a garnish of lemon wedges, parsley and kalamata olives
TIP #2: To keep oil clean while frying, use a slotted spoon to remove any remaining pieces left in oil between batches.
Copyright © 2017 Homeheartnsoul.com All Rights Reserved
Thanks so much for stopping by! ❤
Check out our video for this recipe below on our YouTube page – Homeheartnsoul. If you enjoy this video, be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube channel!