I love ANYTHING lemon poppy seed flavour. This is often the first thing I look for and purchase at any coffee shop. For me, there really is nothing better than a slice of lemon poppy seed loaf/muffin/or cookie, with a warm cup of tea or coffee. Yum. I already feel cozier just thinking about it.
I find the hint of lemon just freshens up these treats perfectly – leaving you with the perfect balance of sweet and sour. So you’re not left with an overly sweet treat.
This particular Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf recipe is very popular at our house. We usually make a couple of loafs at the same time and snack on them throughout the coming weeks.
A couple of slices of this loaf make for a perfect quick breakfast item on the go, or just a random snack throughout the day. I am confident you will love this easy and so delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Recipe!
So without further ado, let’s get on to the recipe.
I start by sifting my dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate large bowl, I cream my butter and sugar together and beat in my egg until it is well combined. I then mix in my yogurt and lemon juice.
Next, you want to slowly alternate adding your dry (flour) mixture and milk, adding a bit of each at a time, into your egg mixture, mixing as you go until well blended. Add in lemon zest and poppy seeds and stir until incorporated well.
This recipe is made in an 8 ½ inch x 4 ½ inch pan that has been greased with butter. It is baked at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until a knife/toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 large lemons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about half of a large lemon)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg until well combined. Mix in yogurt and lemon juice.
- Slowly alternate adding flour mixture and milk, adding a bit of each at a time, into egg mixture, mixing as you go until well blended. Add in lemon zest and poppy seeds and stir until incorporated well.
- Grease a 8 ½ inch x 4 ½ inch pan with butter. Pour mixture into pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until a knife/toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean
- Let cool completely prior to serving
Thanks so much for stopping by! <3
Check out our video for this recipe below on our YouTube page – Homeheartnsoul. If you enjoy this video, be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube channel!