I hope you enjoy this Portuguese Bacalhau a Bras (Cod, Potato and Eggs) recipe!
This traditional Portuguese dish takes a little bit of planning because of the preparation of the cod. To prepare the cod, as I’ve learned from my mother, you want to first soak it in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water 2-3 times throughout. This is done to remove the excess salt from the cod; without this step, the salted cod would leave your dish just way too salty and not very good.
To cook the cod, drain the water it was in and place the cod in cold fresh water, bring this to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook the cod until it is tender (about 10-15 minutes). Once it is cooked, it is now ready to be incorporated into this dish.
I know this sounds like a lot of time and effort, but I promise you it is worth it! Mama knows best, after all!
For me, perhaps the most difficult part of this recipe is stirring in the eggs in the end. Traditionally, the eggs are supposed to mix in as you stir to add an almost creamy consistency to the dish. However, I found that as I added the eggs, they would often begin cooking and coagulate prior to being mixed in fully, leaving a less creamy consistency. I’m here to tell you that if that happens to you, do not worry! The dish is so flavourful regardless! Who says cooking had to be perfect anyway? Recipes are often better when you’ve added your own personal touch 🙂
Please note, this dish is traditionally made by cutting the potatoes into matchsticks. I chose to cube my potatoes here but feel free to make this the way that suits your preference.
Bottom line = this dish is so delicious — the ultimate comfort food! ENJOY!
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 750 grams boneless salt cod flaked (see instructions for how to prepare cod)
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- canola oil for frying potatoes
- extra virgin olive oil for frying onions
- 15 pitted Kalamata olives, sliced in half
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- extra pitted whole Kalamata olives for garnish (optional)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- To prepare cod, soak cod in cold water for 24 hours; changing water 2-3 times throughout. Drain. Place cod in cold fresh water, bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and cook until tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Fill frying pan with 1-inch canola oil. Add one layer of potatoes. Fry each batch of potatoes until golden brown. Once fried, using a slotted spoon, place potatoes on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- In a clean pan, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook until golden. Stirring occasionally. Add cod, potatoes, and parsley. Stirring carefully. Cook for a few minutes, until cod and potatoes are blended well and heated through.
- Remove from heat and add olives. Stirring carefully not to mash cod or potatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs.
- Return pan to heat and slowly pour eggs into cod mixture, while stirring. Cook for a few more minutes until eggs are beginning to cook and they are incorporated well.
- Remove from heat. Taste and add salt/black pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with more parsley and whole Kalamata olives. Serve immediately.
Thank you so much for stopping by! ❤
Check out our video for this recipe below on our YouTube page – Homeheartnsoul. If you enjoy this video, be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube channel!