Growing up in a Portuguese household meant we always had yummy Portuguese desserts for special occasions. Because they were so readily available throughout my childhood, I have to say I did not hold as much of an appreciation for how special they are, until I began to get older. Now, I find I randomly get cravings for Portuguese desserts and often seek out such treats on my own. Not only are they delicious, but they are nostalgic for me – a reminder of a simpler time, one of unconditional love, family and not a care in the world.
These Coconut Custard Tarts were always on the table during the holidays, birthdays or any random family gathering. I have to say, I’m a lover of coconut so these really satisfy any coconut craving I may get.
I just recently started attempting to make these on my own, and I have found that I have really enjoyed them. A key point to ensuring this recipe is a success, is that you keep stirring the custard as you pour it into the muffin tin. This part is crucial, otherwise you will be left with clumps of coconut in some tarts, and none in the others.
So, if you’ve never heard of these delicious tarts and are feeling a bit adventurous, I encourage you try this recipe out.
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened coconut, medium desiccated
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Add cornstarch to milk and whisk until cornstarch has dissolved.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and sugar together until blended well.
- Then, one at a time, add cornstarch/milk mixture, coconut, butter and lemon juice. Stirring between to ensure all is blended well.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Pour custard in equal amounts into each cup. Be sure to stir custard as you pour to ensure coconut remains equally distributed.
- In a 375°F oven, bake for 30 minutes until the coconut is toasted. Let cool before serving.
I really hope you enjoy this sweet treat! Thanks so much for stopping by! <3
Check out our video for this recipe below on our YouTube page – Homeheartnsoul. If you enjoy this video, be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube channel!