We are obsessed with this Greek-Style Grilled Chicken at our house. This dish quickly became one of our favourites this summer and it’s because it can be made in minutes on the outdoor grill.
I love summer for many reasons, and one of the reasons is outdoor grilling! This year, I have really tried to experiment with the grill and have come to really love how easy it is to cook your favourite items, but most importantly how delicious it leaves your food. Not to mention, grilled chicken is also so healthy for you.
The key to this dish is the marinade. You want to be sure to marinate the chicken in advance, for at least one hour, to ensure your chicken absorbs the most flavour.
We have used 4 boneless, chicken breast fillets in this recipe.
So, let’s talk marinade: after you have rinsed your chicken in water, then vinegar, you want to place your chicken fillets in a tray, where they will marinade. On the first side of each fillet, you add salt, freshly ground black pepper, oregano, half of your garlic, half of your lemon juice and drizzle with olive oil.
You will then flip your fillets over and do the same on the other side, adding the remaining half of your garlic and lemon juice. Using tongs, move your chicken fillets around to ensure they are all coated well. You will then cover this tray, and let marinate.
Optionally, you may flip the chicken every 30 minutes as it marinates, to ensure the chicken remains coated evenly and marinated evenly. I find this really helps with the flavour.
Now, on to the grilling…there are a few very important notes I want to make here. Firstly, it is very important that you preheat your grill on high heat for about 10 minutes before you start. Don’t skip this step!
After you have done this, lower your heat to medium, about 425-450F and grill your chicken for about 5 minutes on each side.
It is also equally important to use a meat thermometer (of course this is optional) but it helps so much. It’s a great way of ensuring meat is cooked to the right temperature.
Use your meat thermometer to check your chicken’s internal temperature, and once the internal temperature is 165F, your chicken is ready! Lastly, it is important that you let your chicken rest for a few minutes prior to serving.
I promise you, this chicken is so juicy and full of flavour. I really hope you enjoy this.
This recipe serves 4 when paired with a side dish. We often serve this chicken with a side of rice and green salad.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
- 3 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt, to taste (enough to generously season both sides of fillets)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (enough to generously season both sides of fillets)
- Dried Oregano leaves, to taste (enough to generously season both sides of fillets)
- Extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat both sides of fillets)
- FOR THE MARINADE: After you have rinsed chicken in water then vinegar, place chicken fillets in a tray where they will marinade. Begin on the first side of each fillet by adding salt, freshly ground black pepper, oregano, half of garlic (save last half for other side of fillets), half of lemon juice (saving last half for the other side) and drizzle olive oil onto fillets (being sure to evenly coat them). Flip fillets and repeat previous steps to the other side. Cover tray and let marinate for at least 1 hour. (Optional: Flip chicken every 30 minutes to 1 hour, to ensure chicken is evenly coated throughout).
- TO GRILL: Preheat grill over high heat for about 10 minutes. When ready, lower your heat to medium, about 425-450F. Grill chicken for about 5 minutes on each side. Check internal temperature of chicken using a cooking thermometer. Once the internal temperature is 165F, remove from grill and let rest for a few minutes prior to serving.
Thanks so much for stopping by <3
Check out our video for this recipe below on our YouTube page – Homeheartnsoul. If you enjoy this video, be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube channel!